Sep 24, 2007

Why Do Friends Suddenly Appear?

Part I: If I were a rich man ...

OK - if I were a man of any sort, something would be seriously wrong, since I am in fact a woman. But the sentiment is the same. I'd buy all sorts of chickens, goats, and a big house for Golde, who would then be able to have a "proper double chin" and scream at the servants day and night -

- ack. You know you've held jobs as both an usher and a pit musician when you can sing random showtunes with verve, and aplomb, and for no other reason then that you feel like it. Oh, and your fellow library-goers give you dirty looks. Sorry!

This is my roundabout way of saying that my impending stipend disbursement looks more and more pretty with each and every day, as Schuler gelt is rapidly circling the drain. To the day-old bread rack!

Part II: Giant Carnivorous Plants

I've been thinking about what best to do with the small backyard my housemate and I have. I wonder which sorts of flowers would grow best, 1) in its soil, and 2) before winter sets in. Also, I wonder just how long it will take to divest the wall of its spectacular, choking growth of wild grape vine and ivy, all tangled together. Seriously - the bricks look like they have been colonized by some escapee from a '50s sci-fi allegory of the Cold War, in which ginormous man-eating plants zip down to Earth from outer space and take away the precious freedoms of America. Well, the freedoms, and the arms and legs of every man, woman, child, and adorable pet in America. Commie bastard plants!

That is my roundabout way of saying that I'm a bit nervous about beginning to hack away at the vines. And I might just get electrocuted, knowing my luck - the plants have twined around the telephone wires that run over the back alley.

Part III: Why Do Friends Suddenly Appear?

I'll tell you why: because they know how happy I am when they do! Saturday night, L. and M. came by train to attend a party (read: casual get-together) that my housemate and I organized. On Sunday morning, we had a nice breakfast, walked down to see the Liberty Bell and Franklin's grave, then went to Chinatown to have a nice lunch, and then went back to my place, where they took a rest and I really wanted to take a rest but read Beethoven instead.

And that is my perfectly straightforward way of saying: It was great to see you! Come again soon!

2 comments:

Laura said...

we'd love to! i had no idea it was so close.

we had a great time. thanks for letting us crash (twice!) while you did homework. it's a good thing i didn't have homework. i could never stay awake for the serious reading stuff.

suz said...

sounds like a great time. Happy Belated Birthday. a phone conversation is in good order soon.