Sep 9, 2007

A Spot of Tea

Part I: Churchy, churchy, church!

So church was interesting this morning. First Presbyterian; one pastor (female) who spoke like Captain Kirk ("Blessed ... be ... God ... ourRockandourRedeemer -"), and one pastor (male), who spoke with a slight twang and preached on Philemon. Philemon! I don't remember hearing a sermon on that puppy ... well ... ever! Amazing.

As for the church itself: it felt enclosed, even though it was quite large. The ushers handed out woven fans, vaguely heart-shaped; people fanned themselves vigorously. The organist played really well - the Dupre prelude was especially cool - and the sermon was well thought-out. More people than last week at Holy Trinity Rittenhouse, but less gold leaf.

I didn't feel that "at home" there, so I'll wander someplace else next week.

Part II: Weiner Dogs

There are so many dogs in this city - it's truly weird. You'd think that most would run along the lines of the brace of weiner dogs I saw scuttling over the sidewalk as I left church. And certainly there are many of the smaller sort: yappy terriers, plush pugs, cossetted spaniels and even the occasional Chihuahua. But I've also seen some immense beasts - a St. Bernard, a mastiff, huskies, and what looked (from a distance) to be an Irish wolfhound. (I didn't dare approach - the thing was the size of a horse.) How do people keep them exercised and/or entertained enough? How do they even feed them? It's hard enough for me to feed the stray cat and kittens in the backyard! ... *cough* ... more on that later.

Part III: A Spot of Tea

I'm drinking a nice cup of tea in a cafe across from Rittenhouse Square right now. (Sunday special - get a drink and you get a free pastry.) And my white blouse is, so far, unspotted. Three loud cheers, people. Three loud cheers.

I'll update on how classes go this week - tomorrow promises to be a busy day, with meetings, Source Studies, and choir!

2 comments:

Mary said...

A post about churches and dogs. Ahhh! :-)

suz said...

clearly the pastor didn't go to Princeton or have Mary as a professor.

just a joke.

I've heard some good things about Broad Street Presbyterian. and, there are a few "emerging churches" I keep meaning to dig up for you.