Sep 5, 2007

Omnia Bloggia in Partes Tres Divisi Est

Um, yeah. So I figure that's a sufficiently pretentious trumpet blast upon which to cast off!! Wheee!!

Part I: Labor Day! Labor Day!

Dave - that one's for you. It refers to an absolutely hilarious "This American Life" that everyone needs to run and find, not walk and find, right now. I'll try to post a link to it ASAP. "Labor Day! Labor Day!" opens a verse of the patented Most Annoying Song in the World (tuba, opera singer, rap artist, and children's choir - mostly about holidays.) Other verses include: "Yom Kippur! Yom Kippur!"

What did I do for Labor Day? I walked around outside quite a bit - the weather was lovely - and fed some moldy bread to the pigeons in Rittenhouse Square. Then I ran into two friends from Grand Rapids, completely at random! (which is, of course, one of the best kinds of meetings ...) We will meet up for dinner sometime soon; I saw them off to IKEA and gave them a coupon to that lovely store which has not left my person since it came in the mail.

Part II: This Moment in Greatness Brought to You by Ralph Vaughan Wiggum

So I'm in a tizzy on Tuesday, excited about the first day of classes. I found an especially fun-looking film studies one to audit (Myth and the Movies), and I gave myself a careful half hour to walk to the Anthropology Museum and find the room. I walked through Polynesian cannibal accessories, admired Maori canoe pieces and cloaks, and took a hard right through the Hopi exhibit - only to find the auditorium firmly locked. "Huh," I said to myself.

After more wandering, I decided to forgo the first day of the audited class, and strolled over to Bennett Hall, in order to check out the location of my post-tonal theory class, pending that afternoon. (I sometimes like to scout out things ahead of time, so what happened Tues. morning doesn't happen in general.)

I peeped in at the Cinema Studies department, and asked an expansive prof with a heavy Italian accent "where the Myth and Movies course is ..." He replied: Oh, ees een ze Myoosam, but you mus' know that classes start tomorrow?"

*cough*

Yep! The best part is, I got a week-long reprieve from the unforgivingly clinical Tone Row and its cronies. And I ran into someone I knew that afternoon at the Grad Student orientation - we walked to the gym and oohed and aahed at the climbing wall. Then I went and read a book about Britten.

Part III: All Dressed Up with Nowhere to Go; a.k.a. This is Getting Ridiculous

This morning, I got up nicely on time, had a healthy breakfast, cooed over the stray kitten in the back yard (and by "yard" I mean "assembly of bricks, ivy, and bits and pieces of junk crammed into a space the size of a postage stamp), went to pick up a care package from the post office (thanks, Mom and Dad) and then I went and bought a red impatien and a vine clipping, and planted them both in one of those faux-pillar capital concrete containers on the front sidewalk. (The previous owners left it there for anyone's use. The container, not the sidewalk. You get my drift.) It looks pretty nice, if I say so myself; I hope it takes root.

So then I looked at my watch, yelped, ran into the shower, ran out, and made my way to the Van Pelt Library, for my seminar on The Writing of Music - taking place on this, the first day of classes ... right?

RIGHT?

Nope! Apparently, it was canceled. Bad luck - for once, I hadn't checked my email in the last hour. But I was perfectly comfortable with asking strangers for directions on the fourth floor (they were all nice) and, finally, calling up the department when 2:05 swung around and nobody had yet appeared. They told me it was canceled - and now I'm here, writing to you!

Tonight, I will do a dark load of laundry, and then wear my favorite skirt again, for class tomorrow. Because - barring events straight out of Revelation - I will be going to class on Thursday, my first day.

Take care!





2 comments:

Peter Bratt said...

Hey Suzie,

Great blog! I hope that you become friends with the kitty.

suz said...

yay for blogging! How was the first day of class?